You’ll be able to romance companions and NPCs in Baldur’s Gate 3. Most will lead to a loving relationship, while others are just brief trysts. There’s one, however, that can bring certain doom. Our guide discusses whether or not you can romance Raphael in Baldur’s Gate 3. Likewise, please be aware that this article contains spoilers.
Can You Romance Raphael in Baldur’s Gate 3
If you’re wondering about the Baldur’s Gate 3 Raphael romance, then the answer is “no.” To be more specific, you don’t actually get to sleep with Raphael himself, but there’s an incubus that bears a striking resemblance to him. The incubus’ name is Haarlep, and you meet them in the devil’s domain in Avernus. Here’s what you need to do:
- Going to Raphael’s domain is part of the Free Orpheus and Deal With the Devil quests. Certain decisions will give you a reason to go there, such as obtaining the Orphic Hammer or stealing your contract.
- The portal that leads to it is created via Helsik’s Ritual in the Devil’s Fee in the Lower City.
- We discuss the important parts related to the objective in our House of Hope guide. Still, it’s worth mentioning that the entire area is filled with debtors enslaved by the devil.
As you explore, you’ll eventually learn of a way to obtain the Orphic Hammer: you’ll need to pass through the Mystic Force Curtain to enter the Boudoir. There, you’ll find Haarlep eager to tempt you. As mentioned earlier, Haarlep looks just like your ol’ devil pal–“Haarlep” is just a rearrangement of “Raphael,” after all. Technically, this whole sequence is akin to a Baldur’s Gate 3 Raphael romance. You can also tell them to switch to a female form, if you want.
Love Scene: The Sex Was to Die For
Haarlep will tell your character to strip and get on the bed. There are several sets of responses, but here are the important ones:
- Any time you outright reject or provoke hostilities with Haarlep, you’ll end up in a fight against them, as well as several imps.
- The first set of responses–i.e. “Let Haarlep do as they please,” “[Performance] Pretend to be helpless”–lead to a bit of devilish foreplay.
From there, you’ll get another set of options, which lead to a particular outcome:
- “You can have my body, but not my mind” – Haarlep teases you by saying that they can use your physical form as a disguise. There’s no altercation afterward. Haarlep tells you that Raphael’s safe is hidden behind a nearby painting, and you’re also given a key that opens it.
- “My heart and soul are yours” – You drown in untold sensations until your character dies. You got screwed… in more ways than one.
- “[Constitution] Try to cool your desires and push the creature away” – This leads to a battle, akin to provoking Haarlep.
The incubus has the Ethereal Escape passive, causing them to become immaterial if they get hit. They can also charm your party members. If you manage to eliminate your target, you can pick up the key to the safe. Inside, you can grab some Soul Coins, as well as a clue on how to obtain the Orphic Hammer.
That does it for this faux Raphael romance in Baldur’s Gate 3. Don’t forget that you still need to get out of this domain, so make sure you check out your tasks in our House of Hope guide. You might even befriend a couple of important NPCs along the way.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is filled to the brim with activities and secrets. You’ll no doubt be part of an adventure that can take countless hours to complete. For other tips, you can visit our BG3 guides hub.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors.
GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.